Nathan's SE Asia Blog

Monday, October 09, 2006

Hectic Hanoi


10/8/2006

I spent most of today just exploring Hanoi by following the walking tour included in our trip booklets. The walking tour basically takes us through the streets of the Old Quarter, which is apparently the most interesting part of Hanoi. The Old Quarter consists of a maze of busy streets in which each street specializes in selling one type of product, such as silk, handicrafts, candy, herbs, coffee, etc. In the old days, the products were created and sold on the streets of the Old Quarter. However, now the products are just sold on the streets and created in other locations. The Old Quarter of Hanoi is such an interesting city because on one street you'll find silk stores and then on the next street you'll find blacksmiths performing their trade. It's just fun to wander around and see what you find. Just don't get hit by a motorbike.

I have to admit that I did fall for a scam performed by a lady selling pineapples. I was taking a picture of a monument, and this lady puts onto my shoulder this wooden stick with pineapples on each end (see right). Then she asks to take my picture. I knew it wouldn't be free, but I was a sucker and let her do it. Then she was asking for 50,000 dong (like 3 bucks). I said no. Then she said 20,000 dong. I reluctantly accepted. At least she gave me 2 bags of pineapple and I got a good picture and story out of it, so it wasn't a complete loss.

The picture below is of a bike with a ton of fish baskets on it that I saw at the Museum of Ethnology. The sign said that somebody used to ride it, but I'd have to see it to believe it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home