Nathan's SE Asia Blog

Friday, October 27, 2006

Hoi An

10/19/2006-10/21/2006

Today we traveled from Hue to Hoi An, which is a town that seems to live off its tailoring services and is also full of tourists. During our 5 hour van ride to Hoi An, we stopped off at Marble Mountain, which is a mountain that contains some caves. The following picture shows some of the really interesting lighting effects seen in one of the caves. Apparently some of the Vietnamese had used the caves during the Vietnam War.


There wasn't a whole lot to do in Hoi An besides eat good food, get clothes made, and go to the beach. That's not to say that those things aren't fun, however. Actually one morning I was there I got to play tennis with Brendan. We were both surprised to find a court, and we rented the court, racquets, and balls for an hour. We were both a bit rusty initially but came into reasonable form after a bit of practice. I ended up breaking strings toward the end of our session, and I slyly returned that racquet under the intact one so that the staff wouldn't notice. They only had to racquets, so unfortunately we weren't able to play again. Here is a picture of the court.



During our second day in Hoi An we had a picnic dinner at the beach in order to have one last hoorah with Lindy, who had to go back to California to be with her grandfather due to his illness. It was sad to see her go, but we had a very nice time.

Hoi An is full of tailor shops begging to make you clothes. The clothes seem to be good quality (I'm not much of an expert), and they are dirt cheap to be custom made. I got a three-piece suit with an extra shirt for $70. I probably could have gotten in cheaper if I looked a little harder. I also tried to get some clothing gifts for my mom, dad, sister, and brother. We'll see how those turn out with me estimating sizes. I'll apologize to them in advance. A few nights later we had a fashion show to display all the clothes that we had made. Here are a few pics.


During our last full day in Hoi An, we helped out at an orphanage that was being run by an Australian volunteer. She had been a lawyer in Australia and then gave that up to be a volunteer in Vietnam. Very interesting. Here is a picture at the orphanage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home