Nathan's SE Asia Blog

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Back to Phnom Penh

10/27/2006-10/28/2006

On the morning of the 26th, we had breakfast in Takeo and then said goodbye to Supin and Mach and headed out on a 2 hour, very cozy van ride back to Phnom Penh. After unpacking my stuff, I went to this place called the Boom Boom Room, which allows you to put a ton of music albums onto MP3 CDs or your Ipod for really cheap. It was pretty tempting, but I don't know enough bands that I would like to listen to in order to make it worthwhile and thus chose not to get anything. After that I walked around the city and found some really nice parks with various monuments and a lot of local people strolling around. I particularly liked watching the people playing this hacky-sack-type game with a shuttlecock (see picture below). I've seen this a lot in Vietnam and Cambodia.


Here are some of the other pictures that I took while I was walking around the parks.

I saw this picture outside one of the bars in the city.



During the morning of the second day in Phnom Penh, we went to the Russian Market, which is a market selling pretty much anything you could imagine such as clothes, food, souvenirs, CD/VCD/DVDs, motorbike parts, etc. It was interesting to see all of the shops, but I spent most of my time looking at the pirated CD, DVD, and software shops. You could by CDs for $2 and DVDs for $3. There was a huge selection, but there was also a risk in that you couldn't be sure everything would work. They let you check the CDs and DVDs, but if you bought a lot it wasn't worth your time to check everything. Also there was no way to check if the software worked.

After the Russian Market, a few of us went to the Royal Palace and National Museum. The Royal Palace had some impressive buildings with cool horn-like objects protruding from the roofs, which is characteristic of Khmer (Cambodian) architecture. The National Museum was full of objects removed from Angkor, which was the major city of the Khmer civilization that culminated in the 14th century when it had the highest population of all cities in the world. We would be going to visit the incredible temples at Angkor during the next 4 days, so it was good to get an introduction. Cameras were not allowed in either site, but here is a picture of the outside of the National Museum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home